Thursday, January 10, 2013

An Architecture Collaboration Between Pharrell Williams and Zaha Hadid ?


pharell zaha hadid An Architecture Collaboration Between Pharrell Williams and Zaha Hadid ?

We were stunned to read about about a highly unexpected collaboration plan between Hip-Hop artist Pharrell Williams and Pritzker prize-winning architect Zaha Hadid on Inhabitat. After a bit of research, we found out that it is not the first time the rapper has collaborated with someone involved in the design world. In the furniture business, he worked with French producer Domeau et Pérès on two chairs he designed, the Perspective Chair and the Tate Chair. In his recently released book “Pharrell: Places and Spaces I've Been”there is an interesting interview with Zaha Hadid, one that reveals the duo’s intention for a future collaboration in developing a prefab design:

Pharrell Williams:: With my next project, after my next chair, I would love to do a prefab house, have you ever done a prefab?

Zaha Hadid: No, but I've done temporary structures. So I think the prefab could be interesting.

PW: The average single-bedroom trailer or mobile home is somewhere between $40,000 to $70,000, and two bedrooms range to about $99,000. They say that we are bouncing back from the recession, but in a lot of areas, especially the housing sector—

ZH: It's not coming back…

PW: …at all. So I felt that if we would make something that was about $75,000 to $100,000 that we would could do something really fun and really next-level that could change the game, you know?

ZH: No, of course.

PW: So if you'll be into it I'd love to talk to you about doing prefab houses together.

ZH: That would be very exciting.

PW: First of all, I'm super excited. I'm not going to jump up and down and run out of breath. Then we won't finish the interview. But when we finish I will do that…Because I'm a big kid!

ZH: [Laughs]


Via: An Architecture Collaboration Between Pharrell Williams and Zaha Hadid ?